Thursday, June 16, 2011

Everything has a beginning ...

Welcome to the first day of summer vacation! So far I have worked around the house a bit, watered plants and played videogames for three or four mind-numbing hours. I now have a headache, and I am going to put up a nice blog post about beginnings. Everything has a beginning.
For instance,my TARDIS DVD cabinet has a beginning:
I know it just looks like a pile of wood right now, but trust me, there is a TARDIS lurking in there somewhere, waiting to hold my Doctor Who DVD collection! If it turns out, I already have a request for one.
Doctor Who had a beginning too. Doctor Who premiered on November 23, 1963. If I had been born ... and in England .. I would say it was a birthday present three days early. Alas, I had another five years and three days before I would make my premiere. It just so happens that Doctor Who premiered the day after President Kennedy was assassinated. Talk about your coincidences.
I started watching Doctor Who in the early 1980's and the home video market had yet to develop, so my first exposure to the serial that started it all was through a Target Books novelization:
I now have the episode on DVD as a part of a Box set called "The Beginnings":
Anyways, in honor of beginnings, summer vacation, my TARDIS DVD cabinet and Doctor Who, my next post will be a nice look at "An Unearthly Child," the story that started it all! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment