Sunday, February 19, 2012

Autons and blondes! Going back in time ...

So I am faced with the prospect of no Doctor Who for quite some time.  Sadness.  So tonight, I am hopping into the time stream and watching the first episode featuring Christopher Eccleston as the ninth Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler.  Watching it again, I am amazed at how Russell T. Davies managed to bring back the show for those familiar with it before and introduced it to a whole new generation at the same time.

For the first time, Doctor Who is presented as happening within the lives of those in the episode.  The Doctor has been noticed though out history ... this is one of the great ideas introduced in this episode, that there are people who have heard of the Doctor and they are seeking him out, almost like a mini cult of people obsessed with this enigmatic figure.  That is probably my favorite scene in the episode.  Rose is in the shed talking to Clive, and Mickey the idiot gets eaten by a trash can.  And then of course, the scene with Mickey 2.0 in the restaurant kind of reminds me of Terminator 2 and the T-1000.

The updated Nestene Consciousness was awesome.  I love the part where it growls out "TIME LORD!"  That was something I had managed to miss the first umpteen times around that I watched it.  It was an awesome episode and a worthy way to kick-start a new generation of the most famous show in all of time and space.

Well, after a nice little Doctor Who fix, I am ready to get some sleep.  See you all in the vortex!

No comments:

Post a Comment